Brown Soda Bread
- one pound loaf tin
- wooden spoon
- mixing bowl
- Oven pre-heated to 180°C
- 1½ cups of plain flour
- 1 cup of wheatenmeal
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 level teaspoon of bread soda
- 1 small egg
- ¾ cup of butter milk
- spoon of butter or margarine to grease tin
- Grease the loaf tin thoroughly with butter or margarine.
- Put the wheatenmeal, flour, salt and bread soda into the mixing bowl.
- Lift the contents of the bowl through your fingers to let air into the mixture and to thoroughly mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the egg and milk and mix to a dough with the wooden spoon.
- Put mixture in tin and bake at 200°C for 25-30 minutes.
- Turn out onto a baking tray and leave to cool.
Note: Most people would be more likely to have a 2lb loaf tin rather than the very small 1lb tin we use at the farm. Just double the ingredients if you are using a 2lb tin. Otherwise if you wish you can use a flat tin and form the mixture into a round cake for baking, marking a cross on the top with a knife, for easy cutting.
White Soda Bread
Same as Brown Soda Bread except replace the wheatenmeal with plain flour (2 and ½ cups of plain flour altogether).